Main menu:

13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031

Links:

Meta

Vista and my Natural Keyboard Pro

I really love my Natural Keyboard Pro.  There are many things about it to like.  However, one of the greatest things is the IntelliType Pro software and the ability to turn off that blasted Caps Lock.  Who really needs to turn on the shout key anyway?  NOBODY LIKES TO BE SHOUTED AT, RIGHT?

Before moving to Vista, I made an inventory of the software I would need to install on my new machine.  (BTW, has anyone ever successfully upgraded an OS between versions?  I never have.  It seems that it is always pave and install).  As I am going down the list, I get to Microsoft IntelliType Pro and jump over to Microsoft’s website to download the drivers.  (BTW, shame on you Microsoft for making a page that doesn’t render well in Firefox.)  I put in: Keyboard … Natural Keyboard Pro … but there is no Vista in the OS selection!

I went to go talk to my buddy Aaron, who was one of the first to take the Vista plunge, to see if the IntelliType software that is compatible with his Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 supported disabling the Caps Lock key.  After installing it, we saw that it still worked.  Whew!

So now here is the delima.  Do I give up on ol’ faithful for one feature?  I had even bought two backups when I found out that they were discontinued.  They are down in the basement waiting to be put into service.  In despiration, I tried to install the new software and just say it was a Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000.  It works!!!  Problem solved.

Comments

Comment from Jeff Moser
Time: May 18, 2007, 6:46 am

I have the same keyboard with Vista x64 Ultimate and it’s working fine. However, I would like to change the zoom behavior to be a scroll so that I could use my right index finger to move up and down a web page or piece of code rather than having to move my whole right hand to the arrow keys.

Comment from Barry Wittman
Time: June 18, 2007, 6:20 pm

I also love my Natural Keyboard Pro, but I am infuriated that the Vista IntelliType software interferes with the functionality of many of the extra keys. No longer can I pause Winamp with the Play/Pause button.

They always uses these not so subtle tactics to encourage people to upgrade to newer hardware.

Comment from Dan Francis
Time: March 14, 2008, 10:12 am

I have the Natural Keyboard Pro but I just installed the software for the 4000 keyboard and it works great in Vista. I can disable Cap Locks and remap all the special keys at top. I agree with you- the Natural Keyboard Pro is the best keyboard MS has ever made.

Comment from Michael Khalili
Time: June 13, 2008, 8:38 am

I’ve had my pro for years and now it’s taking the trip with me to Vista. Of course I found you because I was having the same problems. Thankfully they updated my old intelliMouse optical for vista.

I never really thought about getting extras until it was too late. Instead I pop out all the keys and clean the keyboard about once a year so it wont break. It’s taken a beating and some spills over the years and it’s still held up. Mostly I’m surprised those damn little nubs didn’t snap off yet.

Thanks for the tip!

Comment from Benoit Miller
Time: September 21, 2008, 11:19 am

I love the Pro too, awesome keyboard. Shame there is no Vista support for it. All the keys work, you just can’t configure them 🙁

Unfortunately there is no “Media” key on the 4000, so you can’t use that trick to make it launch Winamp instead of Media Player. I tried other keyboards but could not find a (working) match…

Thanks for trying 🙂

Comment from Bruce
Time: September 30, 2008, 11:40 pm

I also have the Natural Keyboard Pro and am trying to use it with Vista 64bit. I am not able to reassign the fuctionality of the prgramable keys. The IntelliType 6.3 seems to accept the reassignment but the key’s function remains default. I also tried to install with the 4000 keyboard with no better result. Anyone have better luck? The Natural Pro is still far better than the HP keyboard that came with my new Pavillion 9340f.

Comment from chris
Time: November 15, 2009, 6:30 am

http://www.blogfeld.com/2009/11/natural-keyboard-pro-windows-7-vista.html has a good (and lengthy) blog post on how to get this to work correctly with Vista and Windows 7. I have not tried it yet, but will look into it soon.

Write a comment